Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Hueco Tanks Guided Tour

Not much sleep last night, tour planned this morning, so we decided a good plan would be to stay here at Hueco Tanks another night.  After our tour, we made a run into El Paso for eye drops and provisions.  Ready to roll again tomorrow.

The 2 1/2 hour tour was fabulous.  Jim Bailey climbed and scrambled up rocks he would never have done had his guide not out aged him.  It would have been just too wimpy to say, "I'd better not!"

There was just too much interesting rock art to post all, but I will include a sample.


This fellow looks serious--whatever he may be communicating.  This particular site has a lot of "over ride" graffitti.  It also hosts a very large snake.

He is too large to get his entire body in one photo, but his head is impressive!
Jim and I were at this location yesterday.  I was amazed at how many more figures I saw today.

Our next stop required a bit of maneuvering.
Who would have imagined that this would be a good place to paint?
We did see a few masks.

There are many lovely figures that span a large amount of historical time and exhibit many artistic styles.
Some "bragging rights" never change.


Maybe a fertility dance?????


Imagine grinding your corn or mesquite beans in these mortars, protected by a cooling overhang and looking at this view:
Wonderful, no?
Readers must think I have posted every photograph I took this morning, but I have not.  This location is just a mecca for rock art.  Jim and I thoroughly enjoyed our morning scrambling up, over and through some of the rocks at Hueco Tanks State Park.  

No comments:

Post a Comment